Friday, September 21, 2012

New buffet!

 
Happy Friday!!
 
 
I have been in the process of slowly changing up our dining room.  We do not use this room much, but it is one of the first things you see when you walk in our front door.  It is right out there in the open! 
 
One of the things I changed out was the buffet. 
 
 
 
 
This was our first one. I had bought it at a furniture store and picked it out way to quick. I had never really liked it and ended up selling it on craigslist.
 
 
 
 
This was the second one. I actually loved this one.  I had found it at the flea market.  I painted it with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Provence Blue.  The problem is I then found one I liked even more.  I was not sure which one to keep but ended up selling this one. 


 
This is the buffet that caught my eye. After negotiating a really good deal on this (after all I am a real estate broker, I love to negotiate! :)  I brought it home with me.
 
 


I was not sure which one to keep at first.  I loved the size and the lines of this one.  I decided to keep it.  I also decided not to paint it.
 


 
The only thing is I thought the wood was a little to striped looking for me.  The vendor said he had sanded it down and added some torch marks to give it the black marks on it.  (never heard of that technique and probably will never try it!)
 
I wanted it a little darker and abit more even.
 
 

After cleaning it up really good I got out my Old English Scratch Cover for dark woods.  This stuff is AMAZING!!!  You rub it on with a soft cloth and then buff it to a shine. This wood was not protected with anything so the Old English worked really well.



 
 
It darkened the wood perfectly.  After I buffed it I applied two coats of polyurethane to protect. 
 
 
 
The only damaged spots were on the sides. 
 
 
 
I had left over wood from another project so I had it cut down to fit both sides.  My husband was at work and I am not that handy with a saw, soooooo I brought it in to Home Depot where I had purchased the wood and they cut two pieces for me!!  :) I used liquid nails and attached both sides. 

 
 
Here it is after one coat of stain.
 
 

after
before

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I love this buffet.  I am so happy I decided on this one!!
 
A few more changes in the dining room and it will be done.  (I think.....)
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment