Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Milk Glass

 
I decided one day that I wanted to find some milk glass.  I did not know a thing about it but thought it was pretty! Once I get something I my mind I go until I get it!  I searched Goodwill a few times and did not find any.  I looked on Ebay and found quite abit, but it was more than I wanted to spend. 
 
I ended up finding a few pieces at the flea market.  (of course! :)
 
 
I was so excited to find it!!  I spent about $3.00-$4.00 on each piece!  Not too bad.  I bought most of it from an older lady, she was telling me all about.  She had it marked at a great price so I was happy to pay that for it.
 
For those of you who like me do not know a great deal about milk glass here is what milkglass.org has to say.....
 

The History and Origin of Milk Glass

Milk glass is a popular type of glass collector’s item made into dishes and cups, vases and figurines and anything in between. But do you know when and where milk glass comes from? Is it a European tradition? Does it come from the ancient Chinese? Or is it a recent collectible?

The Beginning of Milk Glass

Milk glass originated in Venice in the 16th century. However, back then milk glass came in all different colours including yellow, brown, black, pink and blue. All of these colours still project a ‘milky’ color as the tone is thick and coated. Some of these colours still exist in milk glass, especially blue, but the opaque color remains the most popular.

Since the 16th century, milk glass has remained a popular collector’s item as well as a useful item around the house. However, most of the collectible milk glass of today dates back to the 1700’s or newer.

Although milk glass came from the 1500’s, the term ‘milk glass’ did not actually come into play until relatively recently. During the 19th century glass makers referred to milk glass as ‘opaque glass’ and was still considered a luxury item and a great collectible.

The Turn of the Milk Glass

Milk glass became popular during the end of the 19th century in France. Often considered a product of the ‘fin de siecle’, the milk glass goes hand in hand with French cultural awareness and symbolists that paved the way for modernism and expressionism.
I found that interesting!
 
Here is some of the milk glass I found.......
 
 
Here is one I have in on our entry way table.  It is called hobnail milk glass. 
 
This one is in my living room.  I am really liking the look of real plants over all the fake greenery I had.  I just hope I can keep them going!
 
 
Here are two I have in our family room.   I love succulents.  I had some fake succulents around and thought I would try my hand at growing some real ones.  I love how they look in the milk glass.


I am still searching for a few for more pieces. I think it is so neat to have something from another era! 






 
 
 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment