Thursday, July 5, 2012

Trash to Treasure.....

Trash to Treasure-literally!

Remember when my sister and I garbaged picked at the end of the flea market and I found this.....



An old beat up barn door.  I decided to make something with it for a surprise for Bryce while she was away at camp. Lucky girl!!! :)


First thing I did was clean it up, really good!  I also removed the extra broken hinged piece.



Then I painted it with Annie Sloans Chalk Paint in Old White.  It took two coats.



I knew Bryce likes the color of our kitchen island. (Benjamin Moore-Wythe Blue)  I decided to do a light wash of that color on top of the old white.








I then used a light coat of Annie Sloans Clear Soft Wax.  The only problem with the wax is I was planning on using a transfer on the board.  Bryce had wanted an inspirational saying on her wall. I found one at Hobby Lobby and was going to transfer it right on the wood!  EASY!    



 But no matter how hard I tried that transfer was not sticking to the wax.  I had to go to plan B.




Stencils!


I used black paint and started stenciling.  This too was fairly easy!



I decided to attach this Bible verse to the board so she can always see it.  She has had this verse on this paper for years so I know it is very special to her!




Here it is finished!  She came home from camp and saw it hanging on her bedroom wall and loved it!  :) 










No comments:

Post a Comment