Wednesday, May 23, 2012

White linen bench project!



  I had been looking for a bench to put in front of the window in our master bedroom.  I knew exactly what I wanted.  White, linen, simple.   I found quite a few.



I love these benches from Ballard Designs. $549.00





Or this one from my favorite Pottery Barn.  $499.00




This cute one is from Z Gallerie:  $399.00





This one I found at Wisteria.  $400.00             


This simple bench is from William Sonoma-$850.00


I love all these benches!!!  BUT I did not want to spend alot.  I started looking for a less expensive bench I could re do.  I found this little zebra bench at Kirklands. It was on clearance for $49.00.  I did not bother putting it together since I was getting right to work on it!







The first thing I did was paint the legs.  I used Annie Sloans Chalk Paint in Old White.  I then mixed a few drops of Annie Sloans Provence in with the clear wax and applied a coat of that. I followed up with a coat of the dark wax. 

Now for material.  I knew I wanted white linen.  I was SO EXCITED when I realized I had some laying around that was perfect!


I had bought these curtains from IKEA for my bathroom.  I wanted  white linen curtains on the windows. I could not find that in a valance.  These are the Ritva curtains from IKEA and they are $24.99 for 2 panels.  It is a great linen material!



Since I can't sew, I brought the two panels to a little sewing shop near my house and had these made.  I think he charged me around $10.00.  And I was left with a lot of left over material.  PERFECT for my bench!!!!

I missed a few pictures of me actually recovering the bench. I get on a roll sometime and just GO!  I did remove the zebra fabric first since it would show through the white fabric.  I then used my staple gun and attached the fabric.  I followed up with some left over nail heads I had.  I love that look and it is so easy to do!  I attached my white painted legs and here it is.......




The little throw pillows are from Pier 1.


Here is one of the legs close up.  I love the Provence Annie Sloan Chalk Paint color.  It is a beautiful blue.  Mixed in with the clear wax it gives just a hint of blue.  PRETTY!!





I love this bench.  It is absolutely what I had wanted for that space.  Here is a break down on what it cost me to make it:

Zebra bench:  $49.00
Annie Sloan Chalk Paint: FREE already had on hand
Material: FREE-extra fabric just laying around!
Nail Head Trim: FREE had left over from another project
Total: $49.00.

So I saved a couple hundred at least making this bench myself.  LOVE THAT!!!  :)





1 comment:

  1. Congratulation for the great post. Those who come to read your Information will find lots of helpful and informative tips. White linen curtains

    ReplyDelete