Monday, June 3, 2013

My experience with mik paint!

 
 I finally tried Miss Mustard Seed's Milk Paint! As most of you know I have been using Annie Sloan Chalk Paint for awhile now and love it!  The store I buy my chalk paint from started selling the milk paint as well.  I was very curious about it.  I have heard mixed reviews and wanted to find out for myself!
 
I was originally planning to paint a cabinet I have had for awhile, but after a hearing a few more iffy reviews of the paint decided to try it out on my $2.00 flea market chair first!

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Miss Mustard Seed Milk Paint (MSMP) comes in a powder.  It has to be mixed with warm water. I read that mixing it in a jar with a lid is a good way to get it mixed well.  I followed the directions on the bag.  I had purchased the bonding agent also.  This is supposed to keep the paint from chipping.  I wanted it to chip so decided not to use it.
 
 
 
 
I decided to go with Ironstone.  It is a creamy off white color.  I saw it on some furniture and loved it. 
 
 
 
I used an old pickle jar to mix the paint in. 
 
 
 
It mixed well I thought.  The hard part was reaching my hand and brush into the jar to get the paint.  It got very messy!
 
 
 
Here is one coat.  The paint is much thinner than Annie Sloan Chalk Paint.  That could be because of the portions I used.  It does indeed come out with a milky appearance.  It also has an odd musty smell.  (which I kind of liked!)
 
 
 
It dried fairly quickly, but not as fast as ASCP.  I applied a second coat and still felt like it was not covering the best.
 
 
 
Just like this paint is suppose to, it started peeling and chipping after the second coat.  I only took this picture.  I was freaking out abit!  It chipped bad!!  I used sandpaper and a putty knife and removed the chips.  This made a huge mess!!!  I had to shake that blanket out a few times.  The paint flakes were everywhere!
 
I ended up mixing another small batch and adding some of the bonding agent to it.  I did not have much paint left on the chair so went over a few spots.  The paint with the bonding agent bonded well!  It did not move!
 
 
I decided on this blue burlap for the seat cushion.  Hobby Lobby has some cool colors of burlap.  This little piece cost me $2.00.
 
 
Here is the chair completed.  You can see some whiter areas, this is where I added the paint with the bonding agent.  There was no paint on those areas of the chair.  (not sure I should have done that, but I did...) I also put a layer of Annie Sloan clear wax on.  I did not buy any of the wax from Miss Mustard Seed so decided to use what I had.
 
 
 
I am not sure how I feel about this paint.  I was told it is unpredictable and it is.  That is not a bad thing, but on this chair I felt that too much paint came off.  I wanted a chippy white chair so I guess I did get that.  For me this paint was very messy to work with!  In all fairness to Miss Mustard Seed I did not watch any of her videos on this product, I am sure I did a few things wrong. 
 
Alittle of this paint goes a long way.  I want to try it again.  I have seen some beautiful pieces painted with this and I want to figure out how to do that! 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment