Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Spray painting lamps!

 

I was running errands yesterday and got side tracked looking at lamps.  Happens to me often! I just love lamps!  I was at Homegoods, Pottery Barn, TJMaxx, & Target. 
 I love my white Target lamps so much I decided I wanted another white lamp.  I found a few but none I loved or wanted to spend too much money on.  (you get spoiled after buying a $17.00 lamp!)
 
 
 
 
I did find this lamp shade at Target.  It was on clearance for $7.00!  There was just something about it, kind of an Anthropology feel to it. 
 
 
 
 
Scrolled Web Shade
Anthropology $118.00 (lamp shade only)
 
 
Loomed Palmae Lampshade
Anthro lamp shade $98.00
 
 
 
Fringed Clematis Shade
Anthro lamp shade $148.00
 
Target lamp shade $7.00
 
 
 
So the lamp shade brings me back to a lamp base.  I wanted a white one.  I was online shopping white lamps when I got home and found this blog. http://blog.houseoffifty.com/2012/03/how-to-get-high-end-look-for-less-table.html
 
 She (Janell) spray paints some lamps and they turn out beautiful!  I decided to try it on this lamp.  I love the shape of this lamp, I was just tired of the black. I was really hoping to use it again!
 
 
 
My favorite white spray paint is Rust-Oleum Heirloom White.  I usually always have a bottle or two on hand.  This is the same color used in the blog.
 
 
 
 
I taped off the cord and the top of the lamp with blue painters tape.  Then started spraying.  It was really hot and humid yesterday. I was a little worried the paint would not dry, I would bring the lamp inside to dry between coats.  I did not prime my lamp first.  I am not sure if this is necessary.  Maybe you use less paint?  It took about 3 coats to cover.  I lightly sanded in between coats to smooth out any rough spots.
 
Here is the lamp after two coats:
 
 
 
 
 
Then I ran to Home Depot for this:
 
 
 
 
 
 
For as much painting I do I have never used this.  This is what gives the piece a high end look.  I have never glossed up anything before and I now love this stuff!!
 
After the paint was dry to the touch I applied 3 coats of the gloss spray.  I used quite abit, I really wanted this lamp to shine!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 
 
You can see how the gloss spray really works! I am soooo glad I found Janell's blog post!
 
 
 
 
 
 
This is exactly the look I was going for.  Spending a little over $10.00 to achieve it makes me happy!

  I am excited to try this on another lamp!  :) 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment